I wanted to share with you all what I’ve been learning about this relatively new concept called ‘word for the year’. So, let’s look at my word of the year, with a twist.
Hey all! Thanks for dropping by! Today, after working my day job, I went to a rehearsal for what will be my last wedding that I coordinate for a while. I need to turn more attention to my blog adventure, and coordinating weddings is a whole ‘nother adventure!
MY WORD OF THE YEAR, WITH A TWIST!
What is a “Word of the Year”?
For those of you that don’t know what the buzz is about the ‘word for the year’, let me give you a brief background. It seems that someone ‘out there’ decided that New Year’s Resolutions were a bit too difficult to keep after the first couple weeks or so (can I get an AMEN?!) So, that someone decided that it might be more helpful to focus on a specific word, to read/learn/study about how to apply that word, and what it encompasses, into life throughout the following year.
So, let me just say… reading about this process and concept, I was a bit skeptical. I mean, how can a word affect your life for a year?! However, it kept coming up in my newsfeeds and blog feeds, so I continued to read about it to see how everyone was working this into their new year. During the few days that I was coming across these posts, I found myself wondering if it could really be helpful.
Then, I came across a little different process that my friend, Jamie Hoover, at Anderson & Grant is doing. She has decided to write a letter to herself, with different thoughts and points she wants to address throughout the year, and then… well, you can read all about it here:
After reading all these posts and articles, I started thinking… this may actually work well for me… but I need a little bit more than just a ‘word’ (kinda like Jamie was thinking). But, I also felt I needed a little more than a letter, too! Sooo, I decided that I would put the two concepts together, with my own twist! And this is what happened…
Think About and Write Down Areas of Struggle/Weakness
In this stage of the game, getting everything ready to launch this blog has been hair-raising, to say the least. (And, no, “hair-raising” is NOT my word of the year. 😉 ) I wrote down:
- Having to learn and execute extremely new tech stuff in order for (y’all) to have a pleasant visit each time you come by
- Learning photography techniques and terms I have NEVER heard of before (because let’s face it, pics are REALLY important on a blog)
- Collecting ideas and subjects for blog posts that are, hopefully, new and interesting
- Learning how to use all the social media venues involved with a blog, and keeping track of all those venues
- Looking at all the bloggers out there and seeing how well and beautifully they were doing all the items I listed above
- Wondering how I was going to get everything done with everything else in my life (time management)
And these were just a few of my points.
What Do They Have In Common?
As I looked over my list, I realized the underlying issue with all these points was ‘fear’. Fear of making my site ‘blow-up’, fear of having a site that isn’t attractive, fear of having photos that look like a child took them, fear of being a copy-cat, fear of not having enough time to do it all, and mostly… fear of man! And this fear does NOT bring glory to God… and that’s what I want! I want Him to be glorified through my life!
Pinpointing THE Word
Then I thought to myself, “Julie, you know fear does not come from God. He tells you that all over the place in His Word!” At that point I realized, to honor Him in my life, I need to focus on the word “FEARLESS”. After I figured out my ‘word’, I started to see all kinds of posts and articles dealing with being fearless and taking steps of faith! It was SO weird! (I find that happens a lot though… when I need to learn something, the Lord starts gently and lovingly ‘pounding’ it into my head and heart. Does that happen to you?)
But then I thought, “I wonder how I can keep this word in the forefront of my mind this year?” Because, I’m pretty lazy, and if it’s not in front of me, I’ll just forget it.
Place Something In Your Home to Remind You of Your “Word”
This is where the DIY of my ‘twist’ comes in. My way of using Jamie’s letter idea! I’ve created three verse printables (using God’s Letter to us) that I have placed in my bathroom, so I can often be reminded that the Lord’s strength and power, given to me through His grace, is what makes me fearless.
I need to run to Him with my cares and worries, trusting that He already has victory in every situation in my life.
I also need to take leaps of faith, knowing His arms of love are underneath me… so it really is only a leap in MY mind.
He TOTALLY knows what’s going on, and what He has planned next for my life!
This post may contain affiliate links, at no additional cost to you.
For more information, see my complete disclosure HERE.
What You Will Need
In case you want to know how I did this, you will need:
- Tape Measure
- Wire cutters
- Needle-nose pliers
- Staple gun or glue gun
- Frames (I chose 5 x 7)
- Decorative chain (I found mine at Walmart)
- Printables (You can use the ones I created, if you like, in my Printables Library)
- I first measured the area that I wanted to place the framed verses.
- I laid the frames on the floor, side-by-side, and evenly separated them between the total measurement, making sure the inside spaces between the frames were the same (2 1/4″ between).
- I then decided how much chain I wanted to hang between the pics (12 links), and I separated 4 pieces of chain the same length by using the wire cutters to hold the 13th link and using the needle-nose pliers to pry the link open (then closing it using the same process).
- At the back of the frame, I measured 1.5″ from the top and marked it with a pen, and did the same at the bottom (you only need to to this on two sides of one frame, and then one side of the other frames (the side that will be next to the middle frame)).
- At this point, you can either decide to use a hot glue gun or staple gun to attach the chain. I made several mistakes (like a lot of severals) in placing the chain, so I was glad I had used the staple gun, because I was able to remove and re-position the chain. (I made quite a few mistakes! LOL!) Be sure the staples are all in the exact same position, or the chains will hang strangely. Also, I hammered the staples in (AFTER I was sure the chains were where I wanted them, and the chains were hanging at the bottom of the staples 😉 )
- Voile! Now the frames are ready for the printables and for hanging on the wall!
I’m so excited about this idea, and praying that the Lord will use it in my life, and yours! If you decide that your word is going to be ‘fearless’, I’ve placed these printables in my FREE PRINTABLES LIBRARY, and you can get access HERE. Use them ‘as is’, or put your own twist on how to keep focused on an area in your life that you would like to have strengthened and improved!
What do you think? Is a “word for the year” going to be part of your life for 2018? Let me know what word you might use!