There’s nothing quite like affordable decor, am I right? Today, let’s learn how to make canvas wall art with printables created with Creative Market clip art elements.
HOW TO MAKE CANVAS WALL ART WITH FREE PRINTABLES
Don’t you just love an easy DIY that has a high-end look?
And, it’s even nicer when the decor is a fraction of the cost. After all, isn’t that what DIY decor is all about?
This post may contain affiliate links, at no additional cost to you. For more information, see my complete disclosure HERE.
I actually created these canvas artworks with 6 x 6 prints, that I have now added to the Free Printables Library. If you aren’t already part of the My Wee Abode subscriber family, simply click on the button below to get immediate access to the resource library.
all the freebies!
BECOME A VIP!
Get instant access to the My Wee Abode FREE Printables Library!
(If you are already on the mailing list, the password to the library is at the bottom of every newsletter you receive!)
UPDATE: Unfortunately, I’ve had to delete the lemon printables from the resource library. However, YOU can purchase the lemon printables clip art via Creative Market and create your own printables plus so much more with the product! Take a look!
What You Will Need to DIY Canvas Prints
These affordable canvas prints are so easy to make using a decoupage technique! You can even make them with your children are grandchildren. And you don’t need too many items to create lovely pieces of art!
- Free Printables from the MWA Printables Library. There are SO many to choose from! (Options: you can use just about any type of paper you like with your favorite artwork, whether it’s regular print paper, watercolor paper, napkins, etc.)
- Blank canvases or burlap canvases
- Mod Podge (matte finish)
- Paint brush (these are my favorite brushes, and SO affordable!)
How to Make Burlap Canvas Wall Printables
Like I said, creating these canvas printables is super easy, and only take about 15 minutes!
If you want a bit more of a rustic vibe, take a look at how to add a printable to a burlap covered canvas.
- After printing the printable from the My Wee Abode Resource library, gently tear the edges away.
- Place the printable on the burlap canvas to make sure it fits the way you like. Tear off more from the edge for your desired effect.
- Take a paint brush and liberally brush the TOP of your burlap canvas with Mod Podge.
- Now, take your brush and liberally add the Mod Podge to the back of your printable.
- Place the printable on top of your burlap canvas and gently smooth over the canvas with your fingers. Then take your paint brush and add another fairly thick coat of Mod Podge to the top of the printable, being careful to cover the whole printable… especially the torn edges. (Tip: You can dip your finger in the Mod Podge and gently smooth out air bubbles that might appear. Don’t let your finger get sticky… keep it ‘wet’. And don’t worry, any leftover bubbles seem to disappear after drying.)
- If the edges start to lift a bit, dip your finger in the Mod Podge and go over the edges again.
- Leave to dry for an hour or so, and you’re done!
Create DIY Canvas Artwork on a White Canvas
If you want something with a bit more classic style, add a free printable to a white canvas.
The steps are pretty much the same as with the burlap-covered canvas, but with just a few tweaks.
- Using the ‘torn-edge’ doesn’t seem to work well on the white canvas. Cut the printable a bit larger than the top of the canvas.
- Now do steps 2-5 described above. Make sure to add Mod Podge to the edge of the canvas, about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the canvas. Smooth the edges of the printable down around the edge of the canvas with some Mod Podge on your finger.
- Be sure to smooth the edges down… you can do this a couple times while the Mod Podge is still wet. Be sure to keep your smoothing finger wet, too!
- Pinch down and smooth the corners of the printable around the corners of the canvas.
- Continue with steps 6-7 above!
And that’s it! Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy, right? (See what I did there? 😉 )
TOTAL SIDE NOTE… Have you ever heard of sublimation shirts? I thought it was some kindo of new age thing, but it’s not! It’s a really cool way to add art/graphics to your shirt! Kinda like adding printables to a canvas! Be sure to take a look and learn!
Add Your Decoupaged Canvas Printable to Your Home
Now you can place your decoupage canvas artwork in your home…
I really like how this burlap canvas art looks sitting on a shelf.
Add a collection of them to the side of a cabinet.
Remember, you can add these printables to any size canvas. There are lots of 8 x 10 printables in the MWA library, and some smaller ones, too!
If you see any printables in the library that you would like in a different size, just email me and I’ll add them to the library!
Places you might like to add a canvas printable (or three):
- Set one (or three) on a shelf
- Add three to narrow wall section (or the side of a cabinet)
- Use an easel, and set one on a desk, sidetable, or dresser
- Wrap-up a set and give them as a shower or wedding gift (or even a birthday gift)
- Create your own printable and add a ‘Wifi Password’ piece of art to your living area
- Where would you put a pretty decoupaged canvas?
Let me know in the comments if you have any questions, or if you would like to see some of the printables in a different size! You can see more printables from the library linked below.