My Wee Abode is participating in the “HomeRight Refresh Your Walls Today” blogger challenge, so we’re going to learn how to paint walls fast and easy!
This post may contain affiliate links, at no additional cost to you. I received product in exchange for my own honest opinions and review. I would never share a product that I would not happily use myself. For more information, see my complete disclosure HERE.
This past weekend, My Wee Abode got a bit of an update… and then some!
The “HomeRight Refresh Your Walls Today” blogger challenge actually did, indeed, challenge me to give the living room a makeover, AND it was done in actually less than a day. By using a handy-dandy and AMAZING tool manufactured by HomeRight, the walls were painted in no time… easy and fast.
Oh, and BTW, the challenge also involves a prize and ends on November 30, so stay tuned for the winner!
UPDATE: So exciting to share, My Wee Abode (that’s me!) won second place in the Home Right Refresh Your Walls Today” challenge!
HOW TO PAINT WALLS FAST AND EASY
I’m not going to keep you in suspense.
The tool that will revolutionize the way you paint a room is called the HomeRight Paintstick EZ Twist Paint Roller. Yep… this paint roller with the long name will help you paint your walls in the shortest time you can imagine.
Seriously! Let me show you how.
But first…If you’ve been following the saga of this makeover, you know that I asked y’all to help me choose a paint color for my living room.
I have quite a few friends and readers waiting to hear what color I decided to use, so, without further ado, the color I chose was…
Behr’s Toasty Gray… cut by 25%! (More and how I came to choose the color in a coming-soon post.) Here’s a pic of the Toasty Gray (cut 25%), on the left, and my old Swiss Coffee, on the right. Big difference, eh?
Did you guess the right color? Did I choose your fave?
Oh… and real quick, here’s the before photo. The wall color isn’t bad, but during the day it had a yellow undertone, and at night it cast a blush tone.
It just didn’t make me happy.
Now let’s get to the practical stuff because today is all about how to paint your room in the fastest and easiest way possible.
After you’ve purchased your paint and picked up your HomeRight Paintstick EZ Twist Paint Roller and some of the other paint tools you may need, you will need to cut-in around your ceiling, corners, baseboards, and, perhaps, some windows.
I ordered the HomeRight Quick Painter Painting Edge Painter (I’ve seen it in action… I’m going to use it on my kitchen update!), but it didn’t arrive in time. So, I used my handy-dandy Frog Tape and did my cutting-in the old-fashioned way.
Using the HomeRight Paintstick EZ Twist Paint Roller
The HomeRight Paintstick EZ Twist Paint Roller comes with several easy to assemble parts, and HomeRight provides you with easy to follow instructions on how to assemble it. (Side note: The cap that screws the roller onto the actual stick… you may have some ‘threads’ show at the bottom after you screw it on… that’s normal.)
- Attach the Fill Tube onto your paint can. (Be sure that the Fill Tube is on the opposite side of the paint can handle.)
- Before you fill the paintstick, be sure to put some petroleum jelly (included in the box) on the Fill Port.
- Move the Toggle Switch to the Up position.
- (Optional: You can attach the splatter guard by snapping the cut-out side of the guard onto the silver roller frame, then snapping the other end onto the end cap. I’ll be honest, I couldn’t figure this out while I was using it… I kept trying to attach it first to the end cap, then the frame. It needs to be attached the other way.)
Filling the PaintStick
- Place the Fill Port over the Fill Tube until it hits the base of the Fill Tube (it will stop when it hits the base). (You HAVE to be standing on the opposite side of the Fill Tube… Ask me how I know this.)
- While holding the paintstick onto the Fill Tube, use your other hand to pull the Inner Handle back, and the paint will start filling the handle. After you have filled it with a bit of paint, you will see an air pocket at the top.
- Lift the paintstick off of the Fill Tube and immediately place it back on the Fill Tube and push the paint back into the can.
- Draw the Inner handle back again, and the air pocket will just about be eliminated. Now you can fill the whole paintstick.
- When the paintstick is completely filled, lift it off the Fill Tube.
Using the Paintstick
- Move the Toggle Switch to the Down position.
- Start turning the Inner Tube clockwise to feed the paint to the roller. After multiple twists, you will see the paint begin to appear on the roller in a dot-like pattern. Begin rolling the paintstick roller onto the wall, and continue to turn the Inner Tube to feed more paint.
- When the roller is covered, and the dot pattern is no longer visible on the roller or wall, you can begin painting the rest of the wall(s). (Side note: It takes almost a full ‘fill’ of paint to get the roller saturated the first time. After the initial fill, you don’t need to re-fill nearly as often.)
- Continue to paint in up-and-down motions, twisting the Inner Tube as you go and as needed.
- When the paint is gone, simply refill as you did the first time. For the three walls in my living room, I had to fill the HomeRight Paintstick EZ Twist Paint Roller a little over three times and had leftover paint to put back into the can from the handle and the roller.
The clean-up instructions that HomeRight provides in the box are quite good (especially on how to disassemble the roller). But, I would also take a look at HomeRight’s video on how to clean the HomeRight Paintstick EZ Twist Paint Roller. It was really helpful, and I will definitely be picking up a couple of the cleaning tools suggested (optional), too.
AFTER and Added Touches
Because the HomeRight Paintstick EZ Twist Paint Roller is so simple, quick, AND super affordable, I was able to add a new feature to one of my walls!
I LOVE the wood trim… it gives an added coastal farmhouse vibe, don’t ya think?
And the paint color is perfect… exactly what I wanted.
One more of the before…
And the AFTER!
I would say this whole update took less than 8 hours. No wonder they are calling this the “HomeRight Refresh Your Walls Today” blogger challenge. It was easily done in less than a day!
Using the HomeRight Paintstick EZ Twist Paint Roller:
- Cut the wall painting time by about two-thirds
- Eliminated the need for a ladder
- Did away with bending up-and-down to dip a roller into a tray
- Eliminated any accidents like stepping into a paint tray on the floor… which is quite easy to do in a 10’ x 10’ room 😉
- Definitely gave my walls a smooth and even coverage, helping my one-coat paint to cover in… one coat!
You Can Get Your Own!
You can pick up your very own HomeRight Paintstick EZ Twist Paint Roller. If you are just dying to use it today, simply head on over to your local Lowe’s, and the HomeRight Paintstick EZ Twist Paint Rollers are on a wire rack next to the Lowe’s paint counter!
This whole project was super speedy, easy-peasy! My daughter was actually taking pics while I was painting the room (thank you, Nika, for being my photographer), and she was VERY impressed…
“Mom, you did that in just about an hour! You did great!” (Hehe, it’s always fun when the kids are impressed. 😉 )
What about you? What do you think about the HomeRight Paintstick? I’m so impressed, I’m ready to take on my whole apartment now… but, I think I’ll just take on the kitchen next. 😉
Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions, and leave a comment below. I love reading your comments. They make my day!