Pillows?! Who said pillows?! Oh, I did! I needed to step back from the post I was planning to share this week, and just do a little fun shopping-and-sharing in preparation for summer! So, here is some affordable summer pillow inspiration that will help you find that perfect collection for your cozy abode!
Pillows are the perfect pop of color to add to any home, and, for the most part, are one of the most economical ways to bring in a bit of the season into your space. Plus, for small homes, just a few pillows go a long way, which add another aspect of “love” to the budget!
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN SHOPPING FOR PILLOW COVERS
Throughout the post, you’ll see some tips for shopping when you are looking to add to your pillow collection:
- Check out the size. Some of the pillows being shared today are 16″ x 16″ and can go up to 22″ x 22″. Be sure to really think about what size(s) will work best on your furniture. Will you use two large ones, two mediums, and then a small? Or just two mediums and a lumbar (on a loveseat)?
- And, another “size factor”… when using down inserts (what I always suggest), always purchase the cover two inches smaller than the insert (or, purchase the insert 2 inches larger than the pillow cover). This way, you get a nice, full pillow that looks ‘happy’ all the time. Trust me on this!
I was planning on sharing just the two colors I was going to incorporate into MWA this summer, but I got a bit carried away, so I’m going to share FOUR! Woot! So… now to the pretty stuff!
This post may contain affiliate links, at no additional cost to you.
For more information, see my complete disclosure HERE.
I have some yardage that was gifted to me by my designer cousin, Scott, and I am hoping to soon get pillow covers made out of it… if you want to see a sneak peek of the fabric, you can see where I used it as the background for my flat-lay photos in My Word of the Year post. Anyways, that fabric is the inspiration for these covers (and the next ones, too!) (I mixed in some grays and blacks because… I wanted to! LOL!)
- Make sure the fabric being used is the ‘feel’ you are going for. For summer, I just can’t bring myself to use a mongolian-type pillow cover… It just says “warm” to me, and I want “cool” in the summer! Linen or cotton-linen are often my fabric-of-choice. Linen-like can often feel like canvas, and may be ‘rough’ to the touch (check the reviews). I’ve listed a fleece-type cover in the aqua collection below, but it reminds me more of micro-fiber, which I’m fine with on warmer days.
Again, my gorgeous green/yellow jacquard fabric inspired these green pillows. Just give me all the greens and blues! Number 3 has a trim that I think is so farmhouse/cottage/coastal… I think it may be a fave of mine!
- Be sure to check if the print is on both sides, and, if not, what is on the other side. You may not be happy with a plain backside on your pillow, but, remember, a two-sided pillow can often translate into TWO pillows for the price of one!
Because white says, “Light, airy, coastal, cottage and cool!” And white looks lovely with just about any color! Love number 2 and 9 for added texture and interest. 🙂
- Hidden zippers are my fave, unless an ‘outside’ zipper lends to the style.
- Note that MOST of the time the description says “Pillow Cover Only”… usually the pillow is not included and, if it is, the quality is not the best (more about pillow inserts in an upcoming post!)
And, it just wouldn’t be My Wee Abode if I didn’t share my fave aquas. I have to be honest… the love for the aqua designs just kept comin’… I had a REALLY hard time narrowing my picks to just nine! Again, bein’ honest, I may need to keep with my aqua look this year, seeing that my large aqua carpet is not going away anytime soon, and not sure the yellows and greens are going to work with it! What do you think?
- Did I mention to check the reviews when purchasing a pillow cover? Check those reviews whenever they are offered on a product… they are ALWAYS helpful!
There you have it! This was SO fun to put together! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I’m thinkin’ the aquas and whites are just too pretty to pass up! But, I do love those yellows and greens with the whites! I would LOVE to hear which ones are your favorites! Comment with the color/numbers below!